Wednesday

"Spike Lee Does the Right Thing"

"When the Levees Broke: a Requiem in Four Acts"
Accompanied by the haunting melodies of jazz musician Terrence Blanchard, Lee tells one of America's most tragic episodes with mostly pictures and the words of victims. Several notable exceptions such as the Rev. Al Sharpton, social critic Michael Eric Dyson, and actor Harry Belafonte also graced the screen. But I question whether their contributions provided significant added value. Byron Williams, Huffington Post

Some Comments From HuffPo Readers:
"Spike Lee's documentary brilliantly captured the layers of humanity involved in this tragic -- and criminally mishandled -- catastrophe."

"I watched last night and I couldn't even speak when it was over. My soul was bleeding. I knew of the the horrible neglect after the levees broke, but to hear it from some of the victims brought it home like a sword being thrust through my heart. I'm not trying to be a drama queen, that's just how I felt."

"Great show, riveting Mr Lee did a fantastic job of story telling.. Especially getting the fmr Police Chief to admitt to starting false rumors..."

Labels: