Wednesday

Meet Dixie Longate: Tupperware's Top Sales Queen


The year was 1950, and single mother Brownie Wise was making ends meet by selling Tupperware products at home parties. Her go-getter spirit and natural flair for demonstrating creative food storage created such a buzz, Earl Silas Tupper, the inventor of the plastic bowls and containers with spill-proof lids, took notice and made her vice president of his company. Sales went through the kitchen roof. Fifty years later, there's a new queen on the home party scene. Her name is Dixie Longate. Like her predecessor, Dixie found salvation in Tupperware. But instead of selling to make ends meet, Dixie sold Tupperware to regain custody of her three children, Dwayne, Wynona, and lil' Absorbine, Jr. She says, "I got out of prison and my parole officer said that I needed to get a job in order to get my kids back. She suggested that I start selling something out of my home, and since white slavery isn't a really big market in this country right now, I thought, Tupperware. I did my first party and had a blast. Made about $300 that afternoon and thought, 'This is easy. I want to give this a try.'" And try she did.